Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ella Barnes Elementary Science Night - March 9, 2010



I have never been exposed to teaching science in all my life - and I am about to graduate. I wish at a younger level of college I was exposed to experiences like this. The benefits go even go into the confidence of teaching science....I am very grateful for the exposure.


* I did not know that using the methods we used in Family Science would be successful in teaching science....It really makes the kids want to learn science and they get to spend time with their family as well.

* Teaching science is really about the approach - especially if you want to try any sort of inquiry process. The opportunity is definitely priceless.

*I didn't really consider the fact that Mexicans don't really burn like the rest of us...nor African Americans for that matter.

*...you can help students and their parents to learn and realize that science is not only for a few people.

*I confirmed that I like doing things with "ganas" (meaning with desire) and not just for a grade.

*Give opportunities to all and you will see miracles!

*A good project doesn't have to have twenty different steps and take you to the moon, all you need is a little enthusiasm!

*I was stunned to learn that many of the students had not even been to the beach before....One child said he'd never been to the beach. The beach is part of our culture here in Corpus Christi. That is why it is important that if our students can not experience it first hand that we, as teachers, do our best to teach them about it through various experiments, showing them the actual sand, seaweed, and shells.

*Teaching is a wonderful job and I know I was meant to do it.

No comments: