Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Garza-Gonzales Charter School Science Night April 12, 2010



"Everytime I go to one of these it puts me in an awesome mood and gets me pumped to be a teacher!"

*I have learned to adjust my presentation to make sure that all students that participated could learn something. I think that is how I have changed the most.

*We were asked about college....My group and I answered honestly and at the same time we tried to encourage them as much as possible. I really liked that this happened because I think college is so important and I love that they were really interested in it.

*As I reflected on our interactions with this student population I realized that...they are all overcoming great hurdles and huge obstacles that we can only guess at. As educators it will be our responsibility to look past the exterior and find the learner underneath.

*What inspired me was that these students may have been from a socioeconomically challenged area but they were not by any means challenged in their learning skills.

*When we began to talk about the social and community aspects of our project they began to see the relevance of the issue and then they kept their focus.

*I like that the teachers from the school were there to support their students but also to participate in our activities. I think it was important for the students to know that their teachers were there to support them and give them some guidance.

*I am grateful for this experience and am glad that a charter school like this one was integrated in our class schedule.
*I think that the teachers need to have endurance, understanding, and confidence that these students can meet high expectations because most of them were minority and low income students which disgracefully puts them in the low achievers category. I have a feeling that these students have experienced many hardships and rejection. I believe that it requires a good and dedicated teacher who has the tools and knowledge to meet their needs.

*I would really love to work in a Title I school and I feel I honestly need to be more educated in Spanish in order for me to educate students as well as their parents....I'm also truly thankful to be able to see what I need to change or can build on before I graduate to make me a better educator.

No comments: