Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flour Bluff Intermediate School Family Science and Math April 15, 2010



*The key word here is family. When you make something about someone's community, it gets everyone involved. You are able to see parents wanting their children to participate. It holds family accountable for each others success."

*Its an odd feeling to go from not liking a subject such as science to thinking, "hmmm, maybe science is something I want to get certified in!" It just goes to show if you get exposed to something, your horizons can only broaden and that is exactly what we did with the students at the family science nights."

*Overall I give Family Science Nights an A+!

*I think the most important thing I learned was how to alter our lessons for different students; students that differ in age and in culture.

*Over the course of these three family science events, my confidence in teaching science has increased significantly....After each of these events my passion for teaching grows, especially now that I see all the different ways science can be presented and made fun. I'm excited to get out there and teach!

*I do see the value of having multiple events and honestly it is not even the amount of practice that we receive. It is the privilege to go out into the community and meet teachers, principals, students and parents. It is the opportunity to practice being a teacher and working with small groups of children and their caregivers. But most of all, it is the honor of sharing our knowledge with so many children and their parents and hopefully touching their lives in a significant way.

*I haven't had much interaction with kids. It's like a dry spell and you can become unsure of your purpose in education. Thankfully, Family Science night was an outlet for me. I was able to express myself naturally the way I know I am supposed to. I no longer have those questions. It was reinforcement to me that this is where I belong.

*I hope one day I can say to myself, " I feel really good today, because I have seen progress in a child that everyone else said would not succeed". This will be really good enough for me.

*What I learned the most from these events is that culture really does lay a huge role in learning. Where you come from does affect your learning. It is up to us as teachers to try to overcome these barriers for the sake of the students. And I feel that because of family science night, I now know more than ever that I have chosen the right career for me and for the future students I hope to teach.

No comments: